Currently responsible for the planning, engineering, and implementation of Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure for a large global organization. Primary duties involve working closely with IT Architects and IT Leadership regarding strategy and timelines for the implementation of cloud services. Technical duties consist of working hands-on as part of a small team to implement cloud technologies including autoscaling, continuous integration/delivery, and configuration management all using DevOps practices. Founding member of a Cloud Enablement Services group aimed at assisting and easing the utilization of cloud resources by traditional infrastructure and development teams. Frequently meet with project implementation teams to evaluate cloud-readiness of new applications and general consulting around cloud technologies and capabilities. Additional responsibilities include writing and maintaining Software Quality Assurance documentation including System Design Specifications, Requirements Specifications, Test Procedures, and Build Procedures to document and test important capabilities of our cloud environments.
Major accomplishments (recent first):
- Currently part of an initiative implementing AWS DirectConnect to enhance the connectivity between our AWS VPCs and our on-premise network.
- Integral in the evaluation, Proof-of-Concept bake-off, and selection of a Cloud Management Platform to align deployments among AWS, Azure, and on-premise VMware.
- Worked as part of a small team to architect and build our first Microsoft Azure deployment including Subscriptions, VNETs, ARM Templates, and PowerShell deployment scripts.
- Developed multiple AMI pipelines using HashiCorp Packer and Jenkins to speed up provisioning times and increase security through encrypted and up-to-date images.
- Designed and implemented a robust provisioning system using ServiceNow, AWS CloudFormation, AWS Lambda, and Puppet to build Linux and Windows workloads upon request.
- Engineered a cloud-oriented Puppet Configuration Management implementation using r10k with continuous delivery for flexible management of EC2 instances.
- Worked as part of a small team to architect a mutli-account mutli-VPC AWS structure for highly flexible permission and network requirements.
- Evaluated and implemented multiple SaaS vendors including Datadog for system monitoring and CloudHealth for cloud governance/reporting.
- Architected and built first experimental AWS deployments primarily consisting of legacy PHP and Java web applications.